Close Menu
    Trending
    • Premier League finale: Arsenal, relegation, Champions League, Salah and Pep | Football News
    • Cardinals, Jacoby Brissett are still ‘far apart’ in contract talks
    • The Real Reason AI Transformation Fails in Most Companies
    • Mercury may have gained all of its unexpected water in a single day
    • Europeans Remain Wary as Trump Promises to Deploy Troops to Poland
    • Market Talk – May 22, 2026
    • Britney Spears Seen Undergoing Sobriety Test In New Footage
    • Mexico, EU to lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Saturday, May 23
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • International
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Home»Latest News»US judge dismisses indictment against Kilmar Abrego Garcia | Donald Trump News
    Latest News

    US judge dismisses indictment against Kilmar Abrego Garcia | Donald Trump News

    Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteBy Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteMay 22, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Judge says the human smuggling probe was reopened after the Salvadoran national filed his lawsuit against his deportation.

    Published On 22 May 202622 May 2026

    A United States judge has dismissed an indictment against Kilmar Abrego Garcia after finding that he would not have been prosecuted if he had not challenged his deportation.

    On Friday, US District Judge Waverly Crenshaw said the Department of Justice only reopened its human smuggling probe stemming from a 2022 traffic stop after Salvadoran national Abrego Garcia filed his lawsuit.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 3 itemsend of list

    “The court does not reach its conclusion lightly,” Crenshaw wrote.

    “The objective evidence here shows that, absent Abrego’s successful lawsuit challenging his removal to El Salvador, the Government would not have brought this prosecution.”

    Last year, Abrego Garcia became a symbol for President Donald Trump’s drive to clamp down on illegal migration and was sent to a mega prison in El Salvador despite a prior court banning him from being returned there due to a risk of persecution.

    While the Trump administration brought Abrego Garcia back to the US in June of the same year, his return came only after prosecutors had secured a criminal indictment charging him with human smuggling and conspiracy to commit human smuggling.

    Abrego Garcia pleaded not guilty to the claim and argued that he was being prosecuted in retaliation for suing the government to be returned to the US from El Salvador.

    In the ruling to dismiss the indictment, Crenshaw wrote that the timing of the charges was central to the “presumption of vindictiveness”.

    With Homeland Security already aware of the traffic stop two years ago and having closed the case against Abrego Garcia when it deported him, the case was only reopened once the US Supreme Court had ruled that he be returned from El Salvador.

    Abrego Garcia’s deportation had violated a 2019 immigration court order that granted him protection against being returned to his home country after a judge found that he faced danger from a gang that targeted his family.

    Despite his return to the US and his family, Trump officials have said that Abrego Garcia cannot remain in the country and have pledged to deport him again to a third country, a country where the person does not have any ties.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link

    Related Posts

    Latest News

    Premier League finale: Arsenal, relegation, Champions League, Salah and Pep | Football News

    May 23, 2026
    Latest News

    Gaza flotilla activists allege abuse, sexual assault in Israeli detention | Israel-Palestine conflict News

    May 22, 2026
    Latest News

    Israeli attacks kill several in Lebanon, with health workers targeted | Israel attacks Lebanon News

    May 22, 2026
    Latest News

    Real Madrid coach Alvaro Arbeloa says he will leave role after poor season | Football News

    May 22, 2026
    Latest News

    Iran war day 84: US-Iran talks advance amid mediation push | US-Israel war on Iran News

    May 22, 2026
    Latest News

    Malaysia orders TikTok to address ‘defamatory’ content about king | Social Media

    May 22, 2026
    Editors Picks

    US, Iran no closer to ending war as Gulf clashes flare

    May 9, 2026

    Opinion | Trump’s Fantasy State of the Union

    February 27, 2026

    The ‘Most NFL passing-touchdowns’ quiz

    January 30, 2026

    European Union says video app TikTok must change ‘addictive’ design | Technology News

    February 7, 2026

    Zendaya’s Quick Exit Fuels Sydney Sweeney Rift Rumors

    April 10, 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Welcome to Benjamin Franklin Institute, your premier destination for insightful, engaging, and diverse Political News and Opinions.

    The Benjamin Franklin Institute supports free speech, the U.S. Constitution and political candidates and organizations that promote and protect both of these important features of the American Experiment.

    We are passionate about delivering high-quality, accurate, and engaging content that resonates with our readers. Sign up for our text alerts and email newsletter to stay informed.

    Latest Posts

    Premier League finale: Arsenal, relegation, Champions League, Salah and Pep | Football News

    May 23, 2026

    Cardinals, Jacoby Brissett are still ‘far apart’ in contract talks

    May 23, 2026

    The Real Reason AI Transformation Fails in Most Companies

    May 22, 2026

    Subscribe for Updates

    Stay informed by signing up for our free news alerts.

    Paid for by the Benjamin Franklin Institute. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.
    • Privacy Policy
    • About us
    • Contact us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.