Close Menu
    Trending
    • Taylor Swift Reportedly Doesn’t Trust Travis Kelce’s Dad
    • Iran threatens war beyond the Middle East if US attacks
    • Why are nearly 50,000 Samsung workers about to strike in South Korea? | Labour Rights News
    • Masai Ujiri puts stamp on Mavericks by firing Jason Kidd
    • Opinion | Which Has Better Taste: A.I. or Humans?
    • The Scam Call That Sounds Like Your Child: AI Voice Cloning
    • Your body clock has seasonal rhythms and it matters for vaccines
    • Xi Meets Putin Days After Trump Visit
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Wednesday, May 20
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • International
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Home»Trending News»Iran threatens war beyond the Middle East if US attacks
    Trending News

    Iran threatens war beyond the Middle East if US attacks

    Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteBy Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteMay 20, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Iran threatened on Wednesday (May 20) to spread war beyond the Middle East if the United States attacks again, after President Donald Trump said he had come within an hour of restarting the military campaign.

    Six weeks since Trump paused Operation Epic Fury for a ceasefire, talks to end the war have largely stalled.

    Iran submitted a new offer to the United States this week, but its public accounts of it repeat terms previously rejected by Trump, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets and the withdrawal of US troops from the area.

    Trump said on Monday, and again on Tuesday, that he had come close to ordering a new bombing campaign but had put it off at the last minute to give more time for diplomacy.

    “I was an hour away from making the decision to go today,” Trump told reporters at the White House on Tuesday.

    Iran has repeatedly threatened to retaliate for any new attacks by striking countries in the Middle East that house US bases. On Wednesday it suggested it would also hit targets further afield.

    “If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time,” the Revolutionary Guards said in a statement carried on state media.

    CHINESE TANKERS CROSS STRAIT

    Iran has largely shut the Strait of Hormuz to all ships apart from its own since the US-Israeli campaign began in February, causing the biggest disruption to global energy supplies in history. The United States responded last month with its own blockade of Iran’s ports.

    Two giant Chinese tankers laden with around 4 million barrels of oil exited the strait on Wednesday, the latest signal that Iran is willing to ease its blockade for countries it considers friendly. Iran had announced last week, while Trump was in Beijing for a summit, that it had reached an agreement to ease rules for Chinese ships.

    South Korea’s foreign minister said on Wednesday a Korean tanker was crossing the strait in cooperation with Iran.

    Shipping monitor Lloyd’s List said at least 54 ships had transited the strait last week, around double the number from the week before. But that is still only a tiny fraction of the 140 or so each day that typically crossed before the war.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link

    Related Posts

    Trending News

    US probe into strike on Iran girls’ school near conclusion, US admiral says

    May 20, 2026
    Trending News

    Putin hails ‘strong’ momentum in Russia-China cooperation in talks with Xi

    May 20, 2026
    Trending News

    Trump purges another Republican critic with Massie defeat in Kentucky

    May 20, 2026
    Trending News

    Commentary: Ukraine is doing better. Now it’s Europe’s turn

    May 19, 2026
    Trending News

    US troop withdrawals from Europe don’t harm NATO defences: top commander

    May 19, 2026
    Trending News

    Iran army warns it will ‘open new fronts’ against US if attacks resume

    May 19, 2026
    Editors Picks

    South Korea GDP falls as political turmoil hits consumption

    April 24, 2025

    Can human-led AI spark a new era of generosity?

    December 23, 2025

    Unprecedented insight into memory champion’s brain reveals his tricks

    April 2, 2026

    Why more CEOs are sharing the top job

    January 13, 2026

    Birds’ nests in Amsterdam are made up of plastic from 30 years ago

    March 6, 2025
    About Us
    About Us

    Welcome to Benjamin Franklin Institute, your premier destination for insightful, engaging, and diverse Political News and Opinions.

    The Benjamin Franklin Institute supports free speech, the U.S. Constitution and political candidates and organizations that promote and protect both of these important features of the American Experiment.

    We are passionate about delivering high-quality, accurate, and engaging content that resonates with our readers. Sign up for our text alerts and email newsletter to stay informed.

    Latest Posts

    Taylor Swift Reportedly Doesn’t Trust Travis Kelce’s Dad

    May 20, 2026

    Iran threatens war beyond the Middle East if US attacks

    May 20, 2026

    Why are nearly 50,000 Samsung workers about to strike in South Korea? | Labour Rights News

    May 20, 2026

    Subscribe for Updates

    Stay informed by signing up for our free news alerts.

    Paid for by the Benjamin Franklin Institute. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.
    • Privacy Policy
    • About us
    • Contact us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.