Close Menu
    Trending
    • How I used psychology to come back from the worst year of my life
    • German Intelligence Deems Watermelon Emoji Hate Speech
    • John Travolta Reveals Reason For His Viral Cannes Look
    • What do we know about the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus?
    • Wembanyama scores 41 as Spurs upset Thunder in Game 1 thriller | Basketball
    • Aaron Rai’s father quit his job to support his golf career
    • What You Can and Can’t Deduct in Your Side Hustle (Most People Get Tax Deductions Wrong)
    • What is love? Even a meeting on the subject can’t find the answer
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Tuesday, May 19
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • International
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Home»Trending News»Federal funding for Trump’s ballroom in jeopardy after Senate ruling
    Trending News

    Federal funding for Trump’s ballroom in jeopardy after Senate ruling

    Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteBy Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteMay 17, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link


    If Republicans do not succeed, they may be unable to include the ballroom-related funding in a US$72 billion spending package they plan to bring to a vote on the Senate floor, with passage expected on a party-line vote with Democrats opposed. The bulk of the legislation is devoted to immigration enforcement.

    Republicans have been invoking complex budget rules to try to secure passage without any Democratic support. Democrats have opposed funding for Trump’s signature immigration crackdown absent reforms they have sought since federal immigration agents killed US citizens in separate incidents in Minnesota in January.

    Republicans have said federal funding for ballroom security is needed to ensure presidential safety, citing an April incident in which an alleged gunman is accused of storming a black-tie media gala in Washington that Trump attended.

    The administration has said the ballroom will modernise infrastructure, bolster security and ease strain on the White House, which often relies on temporary outdoor structures to host large events. Trump has said the ballroom will be completed around September 2028, near the end of his second term in office.

    Democrats, hoping to win control of Congress in November’s midterm elections, are seizing on Republican support of the ballroom to portray Trump’s party as out of touch with the cost-of-living concerns of Americans at a time of rising energy costs driven by the Iran war he and Israel launched in February.

    Trump last year ordered the demolition of the White House’s East Wing – constructed in 1902 during Theodore Roosevelt’s presidency and expanded four decades later during Franklin Roosevelt’s presidency – to ‌make way ⁠for his ballroom.

    The National Trust for Historic Preservation, a nonprofit organisation, filed a lawsuit challenging the project, arguing that neither the president nor the National Park Service, which manages the White House grounds, possessed the authority to tear down the historic structure or erect a major new facility without explicit congressional approval.

    A US appeals court in April allowed construction to continue after the judge handling the National Trust lawsuit issued an order halting the project.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link

    Related Posts

    Trending News

    What do we know about the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus?

    May 19, 2026
    Trending News

    US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected

    May 19, 2026
    Trending News

    Swatch blames shopping centres for ‘problems’ with Royal Pop launch

    May 19, 2026
    Trending News

    Ebola and hantavirus outbreaks sign of our ‘dangerous’ times: WHO

    May 18, 2026
    Trending News

    India’s Adani to pay US$275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations

    May 18, 2026
    Trending News

    Pakistan hands US revised Iranian proposal for ending war

    May 18, 2026
    Editors Picks

    Christina Haack Goes HGTV Official With New Man

    March 6, 2025

    Fernando Mendoza has a plan for the NFL Scouting Combine

    February 8, 2026

    Why more CEOs are sharing the top job

    January 13, 2026

    Five killed in clashes between Syria government, Kurdish forces in Aleppo

    January 6, 2026

    Clawdbot/Moltbot/OpenClaw is cool, but gets pricey fast

    January 30, 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Welcome to Benjamin Franklin Institute, your premier destination for insightful, engaging, and diverse Political News and Opinions.

    The Benjamin Franklin Institute supports free speech, the U.S. Constitution and political candidates and organizations that promote and protect both of these important features of the American Experiment.

    We are passionate about delivering high-quality, accurate, and engaging content that resonates with our readers. Sign up for our text alerts and email newsletter to stay informed.

    Latest Posts

    How I used psychology to come back from the worst year of my life

    May 19, 2026

    German Intelligence Deems Watermelon Emoji Hate Speech

    May 19, 2026

    John Travolta Reveals Reason For His Viral Cannes Look

    May 19, 2026

    Subscribe for Updates

    Stay informed by signing up for our free news alerts.

    Paid for by the Benjamin Franklin Institute. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.
    • Privacy Policy
    • About us
    • Contact us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.