Close Menu
    Trending
    • More Evidence Skilled Labor Is Rising In Value
    • Machine Gun Kelly and Yungblud’s Feud Intensifies
    • Airbus, Air France found guilty of manslaughter over 2009 Atlantic crash
    • French Open rejects prize money change despite tennis stars’ boycott threat | Tennis News
    • Kyle Busch hospitalized with severe illness, won’t race at Charlotte
    • The Top Doughnut Franchises on the Franchise 500
    • Women’s better memories may delay Alzheimer’s diagnosis by years
    • Trump Says He Will Speak with Taiwan’s President About Arms Deal
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Thursday, May 21
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • International
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Home»Latest News»French Open rejects prize money change despite tennis stars’ boycott threat | Tennis News
    Latest News

    French Open rejects prize money change despite tennis stars’ boycott threat | Tennis News

    Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteBy Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteMay 21, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Top-ranked Aryna Sabalenka and No 4 Coco Gauff have led player complaints about reduced pay at French Open.

    Published On 21 May 202621 May 2026

    The French Open prize money will not change this year despite players complaining they deserve a bigger share, tournament director Amelie Mauresmo says.

    Top players have criticised the organisers for reducing the players’ share of revenue to an alleged 14.3 percent, compared with 22 percent at standard ATP and WTA events.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 4 itemsend of list

    To show their discontent, many competing at Roland Garros, where play begins on Sunday, are planning to limit their interaction with reporters to 15 minutes during Friday’s traditional pretournament media day.

    Mauresmo, a former Australian Open and Wimbledon champion, said she remained open to dialogue and was confident of a solution. A meeting is expected on Friday between tournament organisers and the players and their representatives.

    But asked whether there was a chance the prize money would change this year, Mauresmo said on Thursday: “No, we are not going to change anything. We are going to initiate discussions, and that is what everyone wants.”

    Top-ranked Aryna Sabalenka and fourth-ranked Coco Gauff were among leading players this month who supported a boycott of the Grand Slams if they don’t start receiving more compensation.

    Roland Garros organisers increased the prize money by about 10 percent after the United States Open last year raised its pot by 20 percent and this year’s Australian Open by 16 percent.

    The entire French Open pot was 61.7 million euros ($72m), up 5.3 million euros ($6.1m) from last year, but the players claimed their share of Roland Garros revenue declined from 15.5 percent in 2024 to 14.9 percent projected in 2026.

    They said the event generated 395 million euros ($457.7m) in 2025, a 14 percent year-on-year increase, yet prize money rose by just 5.4 percent, reducing players’ share of revenue to 14.3 percent.

    The singles champions at Roland Garros will each receive 2.8 million euros ($3.2m), an increase of 250,000 euros ($289,700) from 2025.

    “I’m not going to tell you that everything will be resolved with the snap of a finger,” Mauresmo said. “But the discussions will continue, probably after the tournament.”



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link

    Related Posts

    Latest News

    What’s Trump’s ‘anti-weaponisation fund’ and why are legal experts alarmed? | Crime News

    May 21, 2026
    Latest News

    Ebola outbreak: When will a vaccine be developed for the new strain? | Ebola News

    May 21, 2026
    Latest News

    Nvidia posts record profit of $58.3bn amid AI chip boom | Technology

    May 21, 2026
    Latest News

    US lifts sanctions on Francesca Albanese, UN expert on Palestinian rights | Israel-Palestine conflict News

    May 21, 2026
    Latest News

    Elon Musk’s SpaceX unveils filing for blockbuster IPO | Elon Musk News

    May 20, 2026
    Latest News

    US indicts Cuba’s former leader Raul Castro: Why it matters | Raul Castro News

    May 20, 2026
    Editors Picks

    How stress causes an eczema flare up

    March 22, 2026

    Yankees will miss Gleyber Torres more than they realize

    December 27, 2024

    The Geopolitical Nightmare

    March 24, 2026

    Food shock is inevitable due to the Iran war – and it could get bad

    March 30, 2026

    The ‘NFL’s 4,500-yard passers’ quiz

    May 21, 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Welcome to Benjamin Franklin Institute, your premier destination for insightful, engaging, and diverse Political News and Opinions.

    The Benjamin Franklin Institute supports free speech, the U.S. Constitution and political candidates and organizations that promote and protect both of these important features of the American Experiment.

    We are passionate about delivering high-quality, accurate, and engaging content that resonates with our readers. Sign up for our text alerts and email newsletter to stay informed.

    Latest Posts

    More Evidence Skilled Labor Is Rising In Value

    May 21, 2026

    Machine Gun Kelly and Yungblud’s Feud Intensifies

    May 21, 2026

    Airbus, Air France found guilty of manslaughter over 2009 Atlantic crash

    May 21, 2026

    Subscribe for Updates

    Stay informed by signing up for our free news alerts.

    Paid for by the Benjamin Franklin Institute. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.
    • Privacy Policy
    • About us
    • Contact us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.