Close Menu
    Trending
    • Planatir To Control Britain’s Health Data
    • Jon Favreau Admits This ‘Star Wars’ Character Isn’t ‘Disney Cute’
    • US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
    • Russia-China ties ‘stabilising’ force in world, Putin says before Xi talks | News
    • Cavaliers-Knicks Eastern Conference Finals preview
    • Why an Athlete’s Retirement Made Me Rethink My Exit After Building a $2.7B Company
    • Mystery of the ancient giant stone jars of Laos may have been solved
    • A New Framework Guiding Dull Dirty Dangerous Robots
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Tuesday, May 19
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • International
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Home»Latest News»Trump delays ‘scheduled attack’ on Iran, crediting ‘serious negotiations’ | US-Israel war on Iran News
    Latest News

    Trump delays ‘scheduled attack’ on Iran, crediting ‘serious negotiations’ | US-Israel war on Iran News

    Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteBy Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteMay 18, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link


    United States President Donald Trump has announced he will postpone a “scheduled attack” against Iran at the request of regional leaders in the Middle East.

    The reversal, he said, came in light of the development that “serious negotiations are now taking place”.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 3 itemsend of list

    “A Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social account.

    It is unclear what, if any, breakthrough has been made in the stalled negotiations to end the conflict between the US, Israel and Iran.

    But Trump credited the intervention of leaders including Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for changing his mind.

    “I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, The Chairman of The Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and The United States Military, that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow,” Trump added.

    Still, he added that he “instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached”.

    Trump’s latest post comes after days of increasingly hostile rhetoric towards Iran, with the president writing just one day earlier that the “clock is ticking” for Iranian officials to strike a deal, or else “there won’t be anything left of them”.

    Pakistan has been acting as a mediator since the US joined Israel in attacking Iran on February 28, triggering the ongoing war.

    Trump has argued that the war was necessary to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, though the country has denied seeking one. The US president reprised that theme in Monday’s post, calling nuclear weaponry a red line.

    “This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN,” he wrote.

    In addition to limiting Iran’s ability to enrich uranium, the Trump administration has sought to sever Iran’s ties to regional allies and dismantle its missile arsenal and navy.

    But Iran has described Trump’s demands as excessive. For its part, Iran has called for frozen Iranian assets to be released and foreign sanctions on its economy to be lifted.

    Control over the Strait of Hormuz has also been a sticking point, with Iran choking off trade through the vital waterway and the US responding with its own naval blockade.

    Earlier on Monday, Iran’s President Masoud Pezeshkian wrote on social media that his government would protect his country’s interests, no matter what.

    “Dialogue does not mean surrender,” Pezeshkian said. “The Islamic Republic of Iran enters into dialogue with dignity, authority, and protection of the rights of the nation, and will not retreat from the legal rights of the people and the country in any way.”

    Iran and the US struck a ceasefire deal on April 8, following a series of threats from Trump including that “a whole civilization will die” unless Iran changes its governance.

    But that ceasefire has been fragile, with both sides accusing the other of violations.

    In late April, for instance, Trump announced he would send his envoy Steve Witkoff and son-in-law Jared Kushner to Pakistan for conflict negotiations, only to reverse course and withdraw their participation out of frustration with the state of the dialogue.

    The war with Iran has also proven to be a political liability for Trump, whose Republican Party faces stiff competition in November’s midterm elections in the US.

    A poll from The New York Times, released on Monday morning, found that 64 percent of US adults believed it was the wrong decision to go to war with Iran.

    The war has cost the country at least $29bn so far, according to Pentagon officials, with some experts estimating that the price tag could be much higher.

    Reporting from Tehran, Al Jazeera correspondent Almigdad Alruhaid said that Trump’s rhetoric has done little to sway Iranian leaders.

    “ They are projecting defiance rather than concessions against this type of rhetoric from the Donald Trump. And also they are insisting about mutual trust, mutual respect,” he said. “This type of language is not acceptable here.”

    But some analysts noted that Trump’s most recent message seemed directed at Gulf states like Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, which have found themselves facing missile fire as a result of the ongoing war.

    Dania Thafer, the executive director for the Gulf International Forum, an institute that provides analysis on the Gulf region, said that those countries are hoping to avoid further escalation in the conflict.

    “What they want is a solution to the crisis that they are facing,” she said.

    Thafer added that Trump’s priorities for the war were not necessarily shared by the US’s allies in the Gulf.

    “It’s noteworthy to mention, from the Gulf states’ perspective, the nuclear issue is not the priority,” Thafer explained.

    “From their perspective, the opening of the Strait of Hormuz and addressing Iran’s missile programme that has launched thousands of missiles at the Gulf States are the core issues.”



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link

    Related Posts

    Latest News

    Russia-China ties ‘stabilising’ force in world, Putin says before Xi talks | News

    May 19, 2026
    Latest News

    US suspends joint defence effort with Canada dating back to World War II | Donald Trump News

    May 19, 2026
    Latest News

    Philippines launches VP Duterte impeachment trial amid political division | Politics News

    May 18, 2026
    Latest News

    The Gulf does not have to choose Iran or Israel | US-Israel war on Iran

    May 18, 2026
    Latest News

    Israel built two military bases in Iraq before war on Iran: New York Times | Military News

    May 18, 2026
    Latest News

    When are Hajj and Eid al-Adha 2026? A visual guide to the Muslim pilgrimage | Religion News

    May 18, 2026
    Editors Picks

    NBA issues suspensions for Wizards-Thunder fight

    March 22, 2026

    The ‘No. 3 NBA Draft picks’ quiz

    April 30, 2026

    The Iran War Update | Armstrong Economics

    April 9, 2026

    Walking 7000 steps a day seems to be enough to keep us healthy

    July 24, 2025

    Jessica Alba’s Stance On Prenups Revealed After Her Divorce

    April 28, 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Welcome to Benjamin Franklin Institute, your premier destination for insightful, engaging, and diverse Political News and Opinions.

    The Benjamin Franklin Institute supports free speech, the U.S. Constitution and political candidates and organizations that promote and protect both of these important features of the American Experiment.

    We are passionate about delivering high-quality, accurate, and engaging content that resonates with our readers. Sign up for our text alerts and email newsletter to stay informed.

    Latest Posts

    Planatir To Control Britain’s Health Data

    May 19, 2026

    Jon Favreau Admits This ‘Star Wars’ Character Isn’t ‘Disney Cute’

    May 19, 2026

    US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected

    May 19, 2026

    Subscribe for Updates

    Stay informed by signing up for our free news alerts.

    Paid for by the Benjamin Franklin Institute. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.
    • Privacy Policy
    • About us
    • Contact us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.