Close Menu
    Trending
    • ‘Riverdale’ Star Allegedly Cuts Off Dad After Marrying Her Ex-BFF
    • Ebola claims more lives, other African countries seen at risk
    • Hull beat Boro in world’s most lucrative game to reach Premier League | Football News
    • Fernando Mendoza shares one thing he doesn’t like about the NFL
    • Opinion | Has Trump Gone Full ‘Mob Boss’?
    • 5 Lessons I’ve Learned From Resilient Companies Before Crisis Strikes
    • Flotation tanks deployed to combat PTSD after devastating wildfires
    • Kim Kardashian Declines Inmate’s Legal Help Request
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Saturday, May 23
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • International
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Home»Trending News»Ebola claims more lives, other African countries seen at risk
    Trending News

    Ebola claims more lives, other African countries seen at risk

    Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteBy Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteMay 23, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link


    FIRST KNOWN VICTIMS

    The Red Cross said on Saturday that three Congolese volunteers had died in Ituri after apparently contracting Ebola there. 

    The three “were carrying out dead body management activities on March 27 as part of a humanitarian mission unrelated to Ebola”, said the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).

    “At the time of the intervention, the community was not aware of the Ebola virus disease outbreak… They are among the first known victims.”

    Ebola has killed more than 15,000 people in Africa in the past half-century.

    On Friday, the WHO raised the risk from Ebola in the DRC to its highest level – “very high”.

    It said the risk in central Africa was “high” but the global risk remained “low”.

    The outbreak, which experts suspect was circulating under the radar for some time, is caused by the less common Bundibugyo strain, for which there are no approved vaccines or treatments.

    On Thursday, Uganda suspended public transport to the DRC after confirming its first two cases – one infection and one death – involving Congolese nationals who crossed the border.

    It said the driver confirmed infected on Saturday had been at the wheel of the vehicle in which one of the ill Congolese nationals had travelled to Uganda.

    The health worker was exposed to the virus when treating that Congolese patient.

    The third case was a Congolese woman who had visited Uganda and tested positive for Ebola after returning to the DRC.

    “EVERYONE’S PROBLEM”

    The eastern DRC has been plagued for three decades by conflict involving a litany of armed groups.

    State services in rural areas of Ituri have been largely absent for decades.

    South Kivu is controlled by the Rwandan-backed armed group M23, which has never had to manage an epidemic like Ebola.

    “This is everyone’s problem,” Congolese Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba told a news conference in Addis Ababa alongside Kaseya.

    He said the Kinshasa government needed to have “total control” of the DRC territory to stop the virus spreading. 



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link

    Related Posts

    Trending News

    France bans Israeli National Security Minister Ben Gvir from country

    May 23, 2026
    Trending News

    Trump’s intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns

    May 23, 2026
    Trending News

    Commentary: From Iran to Ukraine, lasting ceasefires remain elusive

    May 23, 2026
    Trending News

    US Secretary of State Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit

    May 23, 2026
    Trending News

    Carney says Alberta ‘essential’ to Canada as separatist push advances

    May 23, 2026
    Trending News

    Mexico, EU to lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade

    May 22, 2026
    Editors Picks

    EU to take part in Trump’s Board of Peace but not as member

    February 16, 2026

    Opinion | Why Is Trump So Afraid of American Voters?

    November 8, 2025

    Opinion | Are We Crazy to Cross Such a Treacherous River?

    March 15, 2025

    Physicists can now take control of ‘hidden’ friction in devices

    February 10, 2026

    Konnor Griffin megadeal would be franchise-shifting moment for Pirates

    April 2, 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Welcome to Benjamin Franklin Institute, your premier destination for insightful, engaging, and diverse Political News and Opinions.

    The Benjamin Franklin Institute supports free speech, the U.S. Constitution and political candidates and organizations that promote and protect both of these important features of the American Experiment.

    We are passionate about delivering high-quality, accurate, and engaging content that resonates with our readers. Sign up for our text alerts and email newsletter to stay informed.

    Latest Posts

    ‘Riverdale’ Star Allegedly Cuts Off Dad After Marrying Her Ex-BFF

    May 23, 2026

    Ebola claims more lives, other African countries seen at risk

    May 23, 2026

    Hull beat Boro in world’s most lucrative game to reach Premier League | Football News

    May 23, 2026

    Subscribe for Updates

    Stay informed by signing up for our free news alerts.

    Paid for by the Benjamin Franklin Institute. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.
    • Privacy Policy
    • About us
    • Contact us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.