Close Menu
    Trending
    • Planatir To Control Britain’s Health Data
    • Jon Favreau Admits This ‘Star Wars’ Character Isn’t ‘Disney Cute’
    • US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
    • Russia-China ties ‘stabilising’ force in world, Putin says before Xi talks | News
    • Cavaliers-Knicks Eastern Conference Finals preview
    • Why an Athlete’s Retirement Made Me Rethink My Exit After Building a $2.7B Company
    • Mystery of the ancient giant stone jars of Laos may have been solved
    • A New Framework Guiding Dull Dirty Dangerous Robots
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Tuesday, May 19
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • International
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Home»Trending News»Iran officially announces new body to manage Strait of Hormuz: Top security council
    Trending News

    Iran officially announces new body to manage Strait of Hormuz: Top security council

    Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteBy Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteMay 18, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link


    TEHRAN: Iran’s top security body announced on Monday (May 18) the formation of a new body to manage the Strait of Hormuz, which Tehran has effectively closed and wants to charge ships to traverse.

    On its official X account, the Supreme National Security Council shared a post for the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA) saying it would provide “real-time updates on the #Hormuz_Strait operations and latest developments”.

    The account of the Revolutionary Guards navy shared the same post.

    It was not immediately clear what the new body would do, but earlier this month, Iranian English-speaking broadcaster Press TV said it constituted a “system to exercise sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz” and that ships passing through the strait were sent “regulations” from the email info [at] pgsa.ir.

    Iran has largely blocked shipping through the vital strait since the outbreak of war with the United States and Israel on Feb 28. A fragile ceasefire has been in place since Apr 8.

    Iran’s grip over the waterway has rattled global markets and given Tehran significant leverage, while the United States has imposed its own naval blockade on Iranian ports.

    In peacetime, the route accounts for roughly a fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments, along with other key commodities including fertiliser.

    Since the war began, Iran has repeatedly said that maritime traffic through the strait would “not return to its pre-war status” and last month it said it had received the first revenue from tolls on the waterway.

    On Saturday, Ebrahim Azizi, head of the Iranian parliament’s national security commission, said Iran “has prepared a professional mechanism to manage traffic” through the strait, adding that it will be “unveiled soon”.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link

    Related Posts

    Trending News

    US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected

    May 19, 2026
    Trending News

    Swatch blames shopping centres for ‘problems’ with Royal Pop launch

    May 19, 2026
    Trending News

    Ebola and hantavirus outbreaks sign of our ‘dangerous’ times: WHO

    May 18, 2026
    Trending News

    India’s Adani to pay US$275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations

    May 18, 2026
    Trending News

    Pakistan hands US revised Iranian proposal for ending war

    May 18, 2026
    Trending News

    Oil touches 2-week high after drone attack on UAE nuclear power plant

    May 18, 2026
    Editors Picks

    Record-breaking snow blankets Japan, killing at least 30 people | Weather News

    February 3, 2026

    How America First will transform the world in 2025

    December 27, 2024

    Ashley St Clair, mother of Elon Musk’s child, sues xAI over Grok deepfakes

    January 16, 2026

    Should we be worried about the hantavirus outbreak? | Health News

    May 9, 2026

    Portugal’s Defense Sector Rising | Armstrong Economics

    April 30, 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Welcome to Benjamin Franklin Institute, your premier destination for insightful, engaging, and diverse Political News and Opinions.

    The Benjamin Franklin Institute supports free speech, the U.S. Constitution and political candidates and organizations that promote and protect both of these important features of the American Experiment.

    We are passionate about delivering high-quality, accurate, and engaging content that resonates with our readers. Sign up for our text alerts and email newsletter to stay informed.

    Latest Posts

    Planatir To Control Britain’s Health Data

    May 19, 2026

    Jon Favreau Admits This ‘Star Wars’ Character Isn’t ‘Disney Cute’

    May 19, 2026

    US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected

    May 19, 2026

    Subscribe for Updates

    Stay informed by signing up for our free news alerts.

    Paid for by the Benjamin Franklin Institute. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.
    • Privacy Policy
    • About us
    • Contact us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.