Close Menu
    Trending
    • World Cup check-in: Ecstasy and agony for USMNT’s Premier League contingent
    • Opinion | Who Should Be the Next Governor of California?
    • This Business Strategy Made No Sense On Paper — But Drove Most of Our Customer Loyalty
    • How I used psychology to come back from the worst year of my life
    • German Intelligence Deems Watermelon Emoji Hate Speech
    • John Travolta Reveals Reason For His Viral Cannes Look
    • What do we know about the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus?
    • Wembanyama scores 41 as Spurs upset Thunder in Game 1 thriller | Basketball
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Tuesday, May 19
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • International
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Home»Technology»Pornhub to restrict access for UK users from February
    Technology

    Pornhub to restrict access for UK users from February

    Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteBy Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteJanuary 27, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Pornhub has announced it will restrict access to its website in the UK, blaming the tougher age checks which have been introduced for explicit sites.

    From 2 February, only people who have previously made a Pornhub account will be able to access its content.

    The company says it’s a result of what it calls the “failure” of Online Safety Act (OSA) requirements for some sites to use age verification to stop children seeing pornography online.

    In October, Pornhub’s parent company, Aylo, said the law change had caused traffic to the website to fall by 77%.

    The regulator, Ofcom, said at the time tougher age checks were fulfilling their purpose of stopping children stumbling across inappropriate material.

    An Ofcom spokesperson said on Tuesday “porn services have a choice between using age checks to protect users as required under the Act, or to block access to their sites in the UK”.

    The regulator said it would continue its dialogue with Aylo “to understand this change to its position”.

    Pornhub remains the UK’s largest porn platform, according to web tracker Similarweb.

    It was one of thousands of sites which implemented ways for UK visitors to prove they were over 18 as age verification requirements took effect last summer.

    Alex Kekesi, head of community and brand at Aylo, said in a statement on Tuesday the move to restrict UK access to Pornhub had been a “difficult decision”.

    “Our sites, which host legal and regulated porn, will no longer be available in the UK to new users, but thousands of irresponsible porn sites will still be easy to access.”

    She said the platform initially complied with OSA obligations “because we wanted to believe that a determined and prepared regulator in Ofcom could take poor legislation and manage to enforce compliance in a meaningful way”.

    But six months after age check requirements were introduced to stop children accessing adult content, Kekesi said the company’s experience “strongly suggests that the OSA has failed to achieve that objective”.

    Those attempting to access Pornhub in the UK after 2 February will effectively be met with “a wall” instead of site content, she told reporters on Tuesday.

    The same restrictions will apply to other porn sites owned by Aylo, including YouPorn and Redtube.

    Solomon Friedman of Ethical Capital Partners (ECP), which owns Aylo, said the company believed Ofcom was “working in good faith” to enforce age check requirements.

    “The problem here, however, is not the regulator – it is the law,” he said.

    “You have a dedicated regulator working in good faith, but unfortunately, the law they are operating under cannot possibly succeed,” Friedman added.

    He said six months after the requirement for sites allowing sexually explicit content took effect in the UK, people were still able to easily access porn – such as by searching for it online.

    The company reiterated its position that device manufacturers such as Apple, Google and Microsoft were best placed to introduce technical measures to stop children accessing porn sites.

    “When access is controlled at the device level, it is efficient, it’s effective, it’s privacy-preserving,” Friedman said.

    Ofcom’s spokesperson said there was “nothing to stop” tech firms from coming up with age assurance methods at device level, adding “we would urge the industry to get on with that if they can evidence it is highly effective”.

    But they said its job was “to enforce the rules as they stand”.

    “We’ve put in place age assurance rules that are flexible and proportionate, and we have seen widespread adoption,” the spokesperson added.

    Cyber security expert Dr Chelsea Jarvie told the BBC controls implemented at device level, while likely to play a role in age assurance, “are not a silver bullet”.

    “Virtual Private Networks continue to offer a workaround which is why protecting children online requires layered controls rather than reliance on any single measure,” she said.

    VPNs allow people to effectively disguise their location online, and give the appearance of using the internet as though they are in a different country.

    Downloads of VPN apps soared in the UK after age verification requirements took effect on 25 July.

    Peers in the House of Lords recently voted to pass an amendment to the Children’s Wellbeing and Schools Bill to “prohibit the provision” of VPNs to children.

    Additional reporting by Laura Cress and Chris Vallance



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link

    Related Posts

    Technology

    A New Framework Guiding Dull Dirty Dangerous Robots

    May 19, 2026
    Technology

    Manchester Code Named IEEE Milestone

    May 18, 2026
    Technology

    How Melbourne’s AI and Data Center Flywheel Is Accelerating Research Innovation

    May 18, 2026
    Technology

    Lost Images From the 1945 Trinity Nuclear Test Restored

    May 15, 2026
    Technology

    IEEE Society ‘s Pitch Sessions Link Lab With Market

    May 14, 2026
    Technology

    Testing for Coexistence in Crowded and Contested RF Environments

    May 14, 2026
    Editors Picks

    Drone delivers first Amazon parcels in UK

    May 8, 2026

    Top Trump adviser says Iran war price tag at $12bn so far | Conflict News

    March 16, 2026

    Maren Morris Recalls ‘Depressing’ First Experience With A Woman

    April 19, 2026

    ‘Tears and grief’: Mother’s Day in Gaza marked by mourning | Israel-Palestine conflict News

    March 21, 2026

    Opinion | You Should Sit With Boredom

    May 16, 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Welcome to Benjamin Franklin Institute, your premier destination for insightful, engaging, and diverse Political News and Opinions.

    The Benjamin Franklin Institute supports free speech, the U.S. Constitution and political candidates and organizations that promote and protect both of these important features of the American Experiment.

    We are passionate about delivering high-quality, accurate, and engaging content that resonates with our readers. Sign up for our text alerts and email newsletter to stay informed.

    Latest Posts

    World Cup check-in: Ecstasy and agony for USMNT’s Premier League contingent

    May 19, 2026

    Opinion | Who Should Be the Next Governor of California?

    May 19, 2026

    This Business Strategy Made No Sense On Paper — But Drove Most of Our Customer Loyalty

    May 19, 2026

    Subscribe for Updates

    Stay informed by signing up for our free news alerts.

    Paid for by the Benjamin Franklin Institute. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.
    • Privacy Policy
    • About us
    • Contact us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.