Close Menu
    Trending
    • What You Can and Can’t Deduct in Your Side Hustle (Most People Get Tax Deductions Wrong)
    • What is love? Even a meeting on the subject can’t find the answer
    • Planatir To Control Britain’s Health Data
    • Jon Favreau Admits This ‘Star Wars’ Character Isn’t ‘Disney Cute’
    • US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
    • Russia-China ties ‘stabilising’ force in world, Putin says before Xi talks | News
    • Cavaliers-Knicks Eastern Conference Finals preview
    • Why an Athlete’s Retirement Made Me Rethink My Exit After Building a $2.7B Company
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Tuesday, May 19
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Science
    • Technology
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • International
    Benjamin Franklin Institute
    Home»Technology»Ubisoft cancels six games including Prince of Persia and closes studios
    Technology

    Ubisoft cancels six games including Prince of Persia and closes studios

    Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteBy Team_Benjamin Franklin InstituteJanuary 22, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Ubisoft has cancelled six video games – including its long-awaited Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time remake – as part of a “major reset” of its operations.

    The French developer and publisher, known for popular games such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry and Just Dance, has closed two studios and delayed seven titles as part of its changes.

    Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot said the move would “create the conditions for a return to sustainable growth”.

    The firm’s shares plunged by 33% on Thursday morning following the announcement.

    The move comes at a time when studios are increasingly turning to video game remakes and remasters, with new versions of Super Mario Galaxy, Oblivion and Metal Gear Solid 3 proving popular in 2025.

    So the decision to bin the remake of Sands of Time – which sold millions of copies in 2003 – has left many fans scratching their heads.

    Ubisoft has not specified which titles it has discontinued alongside the Prince of Persia remake.

    But it says among them are four unannounced titles, including three based on new intellectual property, and a mobile game.

    Ubisoft has closed its studios in Stockholm, Sweden and Halifax, Canada as part of the move, which will include restructuring three others.

    The developers were working on a new intellectual property (IP) and mobile titles for Assassin’s Creed, respectively.

    The closure of Ubisoft Halifax was previously announced in January – the same week the studio formed a union.

    “While these decisions are difficult, they are necessary for us to build a more focused, efficient and sustainable organisation over the long term,” Guillemot said.

    “Taken together, these measures mark a decisive turning point for Ubisoft and reflect our determination to confront challenges head-on to reshape the Group for the long term”.

    Gaming industry analyst Piers Harding-Rolls told the BBC the move indicated the firm was trying to mitigate risk.

    “It’s less risky to maintain scale by investing in existing big franchises such as Assassin’s Creed and Rainbow Six than launch entirely new IPs and that’s reflected in the cancellation of a number of games based on new IPs,” he said.

    It is the second restructure from Ubisoft in subsequent years, after the firm cut 185 jobs across Europe in 2025.

    In the UK, it closed its office in Leamington and restructured another in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

    Guillemot said the new move was in part due to a competitive market for triple-A games – blockbuster titles which cost millions to develop and dominate large studios’ offerings.

    “On the one hand, the triple-A industry has become persistently more selective and competitive with rising development costs and greater challenges in creating brands,” he said in a statement on Wednesday.

    Such big offerings are increasingly facing delays – with Grand Theft Auto VI pushed back for a second time to November 2026.

    But Guillemot said despite these hurdles, successful blockbuster games could bring “more financial potential than ever”.

    “In this context, today we are announcing a major reset built to create the conditions for a return to sustainable growth over time,” he said.

    Ubisoft will now focus on developing open world adventure games – which let players freely navigate vast environments – and live service games which seek regular payments from players.

    The firm said its subsidiary Vantage Studios, created after a €1.25bn ($1.25bn; £1bn) investment from Chinese tech giant Tencent, would aim to turn Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry and Rainbow Six “into annual billionaire brands”.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link

    Related Posts

    Technology

    A New Framework Guiding Dull Dirty Dangerous Robots

    May 19, 2026
    Technology

    Manchester Code Named IEEE Milestone

    May 18, 2026
    Technology

    How Melbourne’s AI and Data Center Flywheel Is Accelerating Research Innovation

    May 18, 2026
    Technology

    Lost Images From the 1945 Trinity Nuclear Test Restored

    May 15, 2026
    Technology

    IEEE Society ‘s Pitch Sessions Link Lab With Market

    May 14, 2026
    Technology

    Testing for Coexistence in Crowded and Contested RF Environments

    May 14, 2026
    Editors Picks

    Fire-blocking chemicals promise safer buildings

    December 25, 2025

    Sick Astronaut on ISS Forces Early Transfer of Command from NASA Crew Member to Russian Cosmonaut

    January 13, 2026

    Opinion | When the Internet Cooks, It Serves Slop

    February 11, 2026

    Robots Take Center Stage in DARPA Triage Challenge

    December 31, 2025

    The EU And Canada Collaborate On Digital IDs

    December 12, 2025
    About Us
    About Us

    Welcome to Benjamin Franklin Institute, your premier destination for insightful, engaging, and diverse Political News and Opinions.

    The Benjamin Franklin Institute supports free speech, the U.S. Constitution and political candidates and organizations that promote and protect both of these important features of the American Experiment.

    We are passionate about delivering high-quality, accurate, and engaging content that resonates with our readers. Sign up for our text alerts and email newsletter to stay informed.

    Latest Posts

    What You Can and Can’t Deduct in Your Side Hustle (Most People Get Tax Deductions Wrong)

    May 19, 2026

    What is love? Even a meeting on the subject can’t find the answer

    May 19, 2026

    Planatir To Control Britain’s Health Data

    May 19, 2026

    Subscribe for Updates

    Stay informed by signing up for our free news alerts.

    Paid for by the Benjamin Franklin Institute. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.
    • Privacy Policy
    • About us
    • Contact us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.